Here are some of the upcoming events we’ve been talking about on WMTG Radio…
– The annual missionary revival continues at St. Luke Church of God in Mount Gilead. Guest preachers will speak tonight and tomorrow night at 7:30 at the church on Parkertown Rd.
– A benefit for David Hurley will be held Sat., Mar. 1, at the Lake Tillery Fire Department. A spaghetti supper and silent auction will be held from 5 to 7 p.m. Sat. at the fire station on Hwy. 73 West near the Garrison Bridge.
– The Star Fiddler’s Convention is coming up this weekend. It’s sponsored by the Star Halcyon Women’s Club, and it will begin Saturday evening at 6 in the auditorium at East Montgomery High School.
– The Nu Highway Bluegrass Band will play this weekend at the Mount Gilead Music Barn. The show will start Saturday night at 7:30.
– The Montgomery County Farmers Market Association is making plans for this year’s market season. All local growers and producers are invited to the season kickoff meeting, which will begin with a covered dish meal at 6 p.m., Thu., Mar. 6, at the Ag Center on Glenn Rd. in Troy. More information is available at 576-6011 or online at http://www.mcfma.org.
To submit events, click here or call us toll-free at 1-855-881-WMTG (9684).
Posted in Events
A Troy restaurant is closing its doors tomorrow. Off the Green is the restaurant operated by owners Lynn Zook and Wendell Helms at the Town of Troy’s Denson’s Creek Recreation Complex. They announced Feb. 26 that Off the Green will close at the end of dinner tomorrow night, ending the business partners’ two-year run at the old Montgomery County Country Club. They previously operated The Lost Parrot in the old Troy Hotel building, which had its start in March 2011 as Parrott Beach.
The Montgomery County Partnership for Children will host its annual “Denim, Dinner & Dance” event on Sat., Mar. 8. It’s the ninth year for the popular fund raiser for the organization, whose stated mission is “to ensure every child’s success by turning opportunities into realities.”
The Partnership for Children is the local provider of the “Smart Start” statewide early childhood initiative and also operates programs like “More at Four”, a pre-kindergarten program for at-risk four-year-olds, and “Child Care Central”, a child care resource and referral service.
The organization has also collected more than 100,000 books for Dolly Parton’s Imagination Library for kids.
“Denim, Dinner & Dance” is a ticketed event. It will start at 6 p.m. on Sat., Mar. 8., at the James Garner Center in Troy, and information is available from the Montgomery County Partnership for Children at 910-576-2363.
Filing closes tomorrow for the 2014 county, state and federal elections.
Later this year, candidates will vie locally for the offices of Montgomery County Sheriff, Clerk of Superior Court and the Board of Education. Judges will be elected to district court, the state court of appeals and the state supreme court, and representatives to the state and U.S. House and Senate will be chosen to represent their constituents.
The candidate filing will close across the state Feb. 28 at 12 noon, and primary elections will be held May 6 in the partisan races where they are necessary. The deadline for voter registration before the primary is April 11.
This fall’s general election will be held Tue., Nov. 4.
Election information is available from the Montgomery County Board of Elections at 910-572-2024.
The latest local candidate filing information can be seen from WMTG’s “Decision 2014” election information page (click here to access).