Parents Decline Charges in East Middle Incident

The parents of a 13-year-old East Middle School student have decided not to press charges against a teacher following an incident at the school last week.

Physical Education teacher Lawrence Zaccherio resigned after the episode, in which he deliberately struck the child in the back of the head with a dodgeball. According to reports, the 29-year-old Zaccherio had asked the student to explain the game of dodgeball to the class, then told him several times to stop “stuttering and mumbling” before hitting him with the ball, causing what was described as a “mild concussion”.

Detective Kelley Howell with the Montgomery County Sheriff’s Department told media that the parents of the student decided not to file charges since the matter has been handled within the school system.

On Monday, Zaccherio resigned his position at East Middle, which included teaching Physical Education and Health, serving as the school’s Athletic Director, Head Coach of Baseball and Basketball, and Assistant Coach of Football. He is a 2008 graduate of the University of North Carolina at Pembroke.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Education, Law Enforcement, Montgomery County Schools, Montgomery County Sheriff, News and tagged , , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s