Here are some items of interest, including some events coming up this weekend…
– The first Hardaway Powwow is set to start this evening in Badin. The celebration of Native American culture and heritage will begin with a Grand Entry this evening at 6:00 p.m. and run until 10 o’clock, with more activities planned tomorrow from 12:30 to 10:00 p.m. In addition to dancers and drummers, there will be food and a vendors area. The Hardaway Powwow will be at the boat launch area on Hwy. 740 in Badin, near the famed Hardaway site, famous for its early excavation of artifacts identifying the region’s importance to Native American culture.
– There will be a walkathon to support the American Heart Association tomorrow morning in Candor. It will begin at 9:00 a.m. at Fitzgerald Park, and information is available at 910-975-1397.
– West Middle School cheerleaders will host a fund raising bake sale tomorrow morning. The sale will be 9:30 a.m. to 12:00 noon in front of CVS in the Montgomery Square Shopping Center in Troy.
– As summer kids programs get into full swing, the Mount Gilead Park Program is set to begin Monday morning, June 24. The six-week Park Program will run through Aug. 9, taking off the week of July 4th.
– Also Monday, the Montgomery County Public Library’s summer programming continues with K9 police officers at the Biscoe library at 10:00 a.m.
– A community Vacation Bible School starts Monday evening at First Baptist Church, 133 S. Main St., Mount Gilead. The VBS will run Monday through Thursday, 6:00 to 8:00 p.m. each evening, and all kids are invited.
– Water aerobics will be available again tomorrow morning at the Mount Gilead Pool. Classes are meeting Tuesday and Thursday afternoons from 5:30 to 6:30 and Saturday mornings from 9:00 to 10:00 a.m. Information is available at 439-5111.
See details of these and other events and add your own from our home page at http://www.wmtg.org, or call us toll-free at 1-855-881-WMTG (9684).