– Town Creek Indian Mound is hosting “2nd Saturdays” today. The state historic site is celebrating the birthday of the late Dr. Joffre Coe, the archaeologist who oversaw much of the early work at Town Creek. The event includes special exhibits and hands-on activities, plus local artists and vendors through the day. Information at 910-439-6802, or online at http://www.towncreekindianmound.com.
– An “Art for Kids” day camp will start Monday morning in Mount Gilead and run through the week. The program is free and open to all children entering grades 3 through 5 next school year. Registration will take place at the start of the camp, Monday at 9:00 a.m. at the Piedmont Art Center on N. Main St., Mount Gilead. More information at 910-439-4715.
– The Montgomery County Public Library continues its summer kids series next week, with a program on the history of Morrow Mountain, Monday at 10:00 a.m. at Candor Town Hall. A complete schedule of the remaining programs is available from any library branch in the county, from a link on our home page at wmtg.org, or by phone at 910-439-1311.
– Wednesdays are family nights, 6:00 to 8:00 p.m., at the Armstrong Pool at Stanback Park in Mount Gilead. The pool also offers water aerobics Tuesdays and Thursdays at 5:30 p.m. and Saturdays at 9:00 a.m. The pool is open to the public 1:00 to 5:00 p.m. weekdays and 1:00 to 6:00 p.m. on the weekend. More information at 910-439-5456.
– The Montgomery Senior Center will host its monthly prayer breakfast Fri., July 19. The breakfast will start at 8:30 a.m., and Rev. Rodney Holmes will be the guest speaker. The breakfast is open to all seniors age 55 and up and their spouses. For information and to reserve a seat, call the Montgomery Senior Center at 910-572-4464.
– One week from today, the Town of Candor will host the annual North Carolina Peach Festival. Music, food, kids activities and vendors will be at Fitzgerald Park in Candor all day next Saturday. The event kicks off Friday night with the “Peachy Feet” 5K and fun run. More details from Candor Town Hall at 910-974-4115 or online at http://www.townofcandornc.com.
– Deeper Shade of Blue will play tonight at the Mount Gilead Music Barn. The show starts at 7:30 p.m. on N. Main St. in Mount Gilead.
See details of these and other events, and add your own, from the “Community Calendar” link on our home page at wmtg.org, or call us toll-free at 1-855-881-9684. On the air, the Community Calendar can be heard at half past the hour Saturdays and Sundays on Community Radio WMTG.