Here are several of items of local interest we’re talking about on the air this afternoon…
– Montgomery County public school students will return to class one month from today, and school administrators are preparing for a county-wide back-to-school rally and a series of open house events on each campus. We’ll talk about those plans in Monday’s updates. .. Meanwhile, Montgomery County Schools administrators are also reminding families that North Carolina’s Tax-Free Weekend is scheduled for Aug. 2-4. During that period, no sales tax will be charged on a variety of school-related purchases falling under certain total cost limits.
– Most of Mount Gilead’s downtown shops and stores are open late this evening for what’s being called a “Christmas in July” open house. Refreshments and entertainment are part of the event, going on until 9 o’clock tonight in downtown Mount Gilead.
– The Master Gardener Program of the Montgomery County Cooperative Extension will host a plant propagation workshop tomorrow. Information and registration are available from the Cooperative Extension office in Troy at 910-576-6011.
– McAuley Memorial A.M.E. Zion Church of Mount Gilead will host a special worship service and book signing Saturday evening featuring Rev. Dr. Eric L. Leake. Leake is originally from Mount Gilead, and is currently pastor of Martin Temple A.M.E. Zion Church in Chicago. His new book, entitled “Praying on Purpose”, has just been published by Xulon Press. Pastor David Wooley and the congregation invite everyone to the special service and book signing with Eric Leake, Saturday evening at 6 p.m. at the church, on Julius Chambers Ave. in Mount Gilead.
– There will be Christian rock music tomorrow night at the Cedar Plantation on N. Main St. in Troy. Caleb’s Bridge and Brad Ratledge will be in concert starting at 7 p.m. tomorrow, and doors open at 6 p.m.
– Also tomorrow night, Sons of the South will play bluegrass music at the Mount Gilead Music Barn, with showtime set for 7:30 p.m.
Send news and event information from the tab at the top of our website, or call us toll-free at 1-855-881-WMTG (9684).