Here are some items of local interest…
– Early registration continues for October’s Smokin’ Pig 5K. This is the second year for the event, sponsored by the Mount Gilead Fire Department. The 5K is set for Sat., Oct. 12, and participants who sign up by this Friday are guaranteed to receive the official t-shirt. The fire department will also have its annual barbecue that day, and more information is available from Mount Gilead Town Hall at 910-439-5111.
– There will be a classic car cruise-in Thu., Sept. 19, in Troy. It is set for 5 to 8 p.m. on Main St. in downtown Troy. Gary Smith of “G. Money’s Beach Party” on WMTG will be the live DJ for the event.
– Highland Community Center and the Friends in Focus will host movie night this Fri., Sept. 20. The film is about Jackie Robinson, the celebrated baseball player who was the first African American to play in the major leagues. The film will start Friday at 7 p.m. at Highland Community Center, off Julius Chambers Ave. in Mount Gilead, and everyone is invited.
– On Saturday, Montgomery County Public Library will host brunch with author Amy Clipston. Clipston is a writer of Amish and Christian fiction, and Saturday’s event will start at 11 a.m. and is open to the public. RSVP to the library in Troy at 910-572-1311.
– The Best of Badin festival will be Friday evening and Saturday, and the Town of Seagrove will have a centennial celebration Saturday.
See more events on the WMTG Community Calendar.