Settlement reached in death of Stanly County man

A settlement has been reached between Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police and the family of a Stanly County man shot and killed by police officers more than seven years ago.

140113_Charlotte-Mecklenburg_Police_Department_patchForty-one-year-old Anthony Wayne Furr was performing late-night equipment maintenance on equipment at a cell phone tower installation on Albemarle Rd. on July 20, 2006, when three Charlotte Police officers responded to a report of suspicious activity at the site.

The officers said Furr pulled a handgun and did not obey their commands to surrender the weapon. Officers fired, killing Furr with two shots to the chest.

Now, the Charlotte Observer reports that Charlotte City Council on Jan. 6 approved a $700,000 settlement with Furr’s family.

Police said they thought Furr was someone who may have broken into the facility. There had been a number of reported copper thefts at similar sites around the time of the incident.

Advertisements
This entry was posted in Charlotte-Mecklenburg Police and tagged , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s