Coming up in the area…
The American Red Cross will offer a beginner’s life-guarding class April 28 through 30. A renewal class for those previously certified is planned for the following weekend. More information at 704-695-2782.
Montgomery County Bible Association – Fri., Apr. 28, 11 a.m. to 2 p.m.
Chicken Tender Dinner, pre-orders only, free delivery local business with orders of 10 or more plate; details and orders at 910-439-5043
Love Joy United Methodist Church will host the “Runnin’ 2 Give” 5K run and walk Sat., Apr. 29. There will also be a one-mile fun run and children’s activities from 8 a.m. to 12 noon. Proceeds will support the church’s missions and projects. For details, call 910-571-1895.
Norwood Arbor Day Festival – Thu., Apr. 27 through Sat., Apr. 29…
• 7 p.m. The Singing Towers
• 7-10:30 p.m. The TONEZ
• 9:30-10 a.m. Cheer Corps All Stars
• 10:15-10:45 a.m. Melissa Kathleen’s School of Dance
• 11-11:45 a.m. Keith Byrd
• 12:30-1:30 p.m. The Grass Strings
• 1:30-2 p.m. Albemarle High School Step & Dance Team
• 2-3:30 p.m. Valhalla
• 4-6:15 p.m. Chris Marks Band
• 7-10:30 p.m. Blackwater Rhythm & Blues
• 7:30 a.m.-2 p.m. VFW Post 6183 Annual Car Show
• 9 a.m.-until NC Forestry Service – Smokey the Bear & Single Engine Air Tanker
• All Day JAARS Helicopter Rides
• All Day Fossil Fair
• 11 a.m.-2 p.m. Carolinas HealthCare System Helicopter
• 12 noon-3 p.m. Fishing for Kids
• 9 a.m.-until Sand Volleyball Tournament
• 12 noon Pageant (register 10:45 a.m.-12 noon)
• 10 a.m.-until Center Rural Fire Department Barbecue
Highland Community Center May Day Celebration – Sat., May 6, 8 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Parade, vendors, exhibitors and Maypole; 910-439-9099
Candor Volunteer Fire Department – Sat., May 6..
Cruise-In, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Spaghetti Dinner, 11 a.m. to 7 p.m.
Raffle Drawing, 6:25 p.m.
Live Auction, 6:30 p.m.
Information is available from Candor firemen, at Candor Town Hall, and at Edd’s Power Window Service in Candor.
The Montgomery County Farmer’s Market is open for the season. The market is open Thursdays, 3 to 6 p.m., in the parking lot next to the old hotel on N. Main St. in Troy.
The Montgomery County Council on Aging hosts activities for seniors every Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday morning at Highland Community Center in Mount Gilead, with occasional activities in Wadeville, Pekin and other locations throughout the county. Find out more from the Council on Aging at 910-572-3757.
Past participants of Mount Gilead’s Park Program are planning a reunion. Organizers encourage those who attended Park Program at any time in the past to plan to come to the reunion, Sat., May 20, 2 to 7 p.m. at Stanback Park. More details will be announced later.
There is live bluegrass every weekend at Mount Gilead Music Barn. Showtime is Saturday night at 7:30.
Apr. 22 – Destination Bluegrass Band
Send news and community announcements from the menu link above, or call us toll-free at 1-855-881-WMTG (9684).
Weather Prepared Week was observed Mar. 5-11 in North Carolina. Click here for more information from the National Weather Service.