West Montgomery High School will host its last-ever homecoming Fri., Oct. 18, when the Montgomery Central Timberwolves varsity football team plays Forest Hills at James Garmon Field. Advance tickets for the game are available at the school office. Some alumni have planned tailgating events with food available before the game. All West graduates are invited to the game Friday, and to an open house at the school, Sat., Oct. 19, from 12 noon to 3 p.m., when there will be tours and photo opportunities. Leftover yearbooks and sports jerseys will also be available for sale. For more information, stop by the West Montgomery High School office or call 910-439-6191.
The Town of Mount Gilead will host a fall festival, Sat., Oct. 19, with live music, food, games, and arts and crafts. See the schedule below. For details, visit Town Hall or call 910-439-5111.
11:50 a.m. – 12:00 noon, Mayor Chip Miller Welcome & National Anthem
12:00 noon – 12:45 p.m., Loaded Dice Band
1:00 – 1:30 p.m., Stanly County Gymnastics
1:45 – 2:30 p.m., Corey Luetjen Traveling Blues Band
2:30 – 3:00 p.m., Pet Parade
3:15 – 4:00 p.m., Shawn Dykes and Spirit of Praise
4:15 – 6:00 p.m., Sand Band
There will be dance floor in front of the stage.
· Mickey and Minnie Mouse Appearances – Mingle and Selfies (1 – 2 p.m. & 4 – 5 p.m.)
· Paw Patrol appearance
· Magic Castle bounce houses for kids
· Pet Plaza (all day), sponsored by Mount Gilead Museum, , on the lawn across from the Ford Place – Pet Parade, Humane Society adoptions, Wildlife Representative, PetSmart, Raffles and Dog Food Donations for the Humane Society
· Corn Hole Tournament, sponsored by Mount Gilead Civitan Club, Methodist Church Lawn – Prizes and drawings for giveaways; teams MUST pre-register at Town Hall
· Pickle Ball Tournament, sponsored by Mount Gilead Lions Club, Stanback Park – golf cart shuttle to and from will be available
· Chi Sigma Club raffle throughout the day
· Wool Spinning Demonstrations, Mary Fiscella – 1:30 p.m. and 3:30 p.m.
· Chainsaw Art Demonstrations, Wayne Godfrey – 12:30 p.m. and 2:30 p.m.
· Montgomery Community College Pottery Department, Sydney Williams – Information Booth and Pottery Demonstrations throughout the day (times TBD); other MCC programs will be represented at the festival
· Mount Gilead Antique Mall will be setting up tables behind the Mall for toy & collectible vendors
54 food and craft vendors as of Oct. 2
The Montgomery County Humane Society will present Halloween with Elvis, Sat., Oct. 19, at the Garner Center in Troy. Proceeds from the dinner and show will support the work of the Humane Society, and tickets are available now. For information, call 910-571-0009.
The West Montgomery High School Class of 1979 is planning its 40-year reunion for Sat., Oct. 19. For more information, class members can call 980-521-1203.
Send news and community announcements from the menu link above, or call us toll-free at 1-855-881-WMTG (9684).
The inaugural season of Montgomery Central High School Timberwolves varsity football continues. WMTG is not broadcasting the games this season, but we encourage you to join us in attending games and supporting the Timberwolves whenever possible.